Thursday, November 13, 2008

We're fine. Just moving.

Last time we moved, almost four years ago, we had one infant, not much stuff and went from a tiny apartment to a 1530 sq ft house. That was easy compared to what we've been doing this week--moving from that house to this house, which is about 1000 sq ft, maybe more, with a 4 year old and a 3 month old and a teen-age brother (or Uncle, depending who you are).
I actually like unpacking. It's a fresh start to organization and it makes me imagine the future, especially in our beautiful new kitchen. The house we're renting is from the early 20th century but the kitchen is from this century. I love it. As soon as I get it set up I'm going to be baking away, lots of Christmas cookies to make.
Maxine has outgrown her bassinet but we haven't had time or a chance to get her crib out of our portable storage unit that sits out on our curb. Raquel has spent the last two nights at my mom-in-law's house, very willingly. Tonight she will sleep here at her new home on her mattress on the floor. She thinks its fun. Right now she's taking a bubble bath. She gets so dirty playing outside on her new playground in our backyard. The owners put it in very recently for their children but they moved far away, so luckily it has Raquel to keep it warm.
Jose and I have had James to help us through this entire move. Whenever he isn't at school or work, he's helping drive truckloads of our belongings over here. Right now he's out looking for a new job. He turned 18 last week and is hoping to get a better job, close to our new home.
I like our house better and better. At first, without our things in it I thought it seemed teency. Too small for us. I kept saying to myself, "We will have to make it work." Well, it's looking better to me now. My bedroom isn't as small as I thought with our queen size bed in it and I actually really like the existing paint color. The dining room is a nice size, has nice curtains and paint color. The main bathroom is going to get some work done on it next week (paint, window frames, door frames, etc). The half bath is cute and comfy enough for poopin', we found that out after a good pot of coffee.
One thing I'm not crazy about and have never had to deal with: wood floors throughout (except ceramic tile in the kitchen and tile in the full bath). The wood floors look pretty but seem to need cleaning all the time which is something we can't practically do. I'm thinking we need a Roomba. The floors got cleaned yesterday but as of last night they were really dirty judging from my bare feet. I washed them before I went to bed. Today I've worn socks all day in the house and I can feel every speck of dirt on the floor under my feet. I can't stand it. Is this how it is when you have wood floors? Ugh.
Jose and I have been working nonstop this week and are getting exhausted. He wants to go to an asian massage parlor and get a couple's foot massage. I am with that.
Tomorrow morning we are going to do a final walk-through of our old house, take a few more plants and hand the keys over to the bank. I wonder what that's going to be like.

8 comments:

Iris said...

You guys have so much to do! Is there anything we can offer to help? Glad to get an update from you. Miss you :)

HektikLyfe said...

Plain floors do get pretty dirty but the thing is there isn't any carpet to absorb it. Think of it that way and you will appreciate the fact that you know the grime is there. You can just sweep it away. A roomba should work GREAT on wood floors. Only problem is you are going to be emptying out that little guy often. Whoever does that is going to be sticking his/her hands through each and every single speck of dust it has ever picked up.

Oh and be sure to turn down the "special" at that massage parlor.

Sarah Jane said...

Yes, I appreciate seeing the grime and knowing it's really there and not hiding in plush.
Is the special the one where they say, "You want sumteen mo'?"

Iris said...

*giggling* @ sumteen mo

Shelley said...

i've had hardwood floors for awhile now....LOVE them...my allergies do too. you can always make a No Outside Shoes rule and bust out the slipper socks. i have a Swiffer that has hard-wood wet cloths...that might be a nice raquelita chore.

Sarah Jane said...

Oh man. You read my mind about Raquelita chores. She's at that readuy-to-learn-to-clean-the-house age.

Sarah Jane said...

And I find that wearing socks helps "sweep" the floor.

Shelley said...

sweet. and when the cloths are nasty, i rinse and wring and spray em with Pledge cuz they're pretty sturdy like that.
NO SHAME IN MY GAME!