Monday, September 22, 2008

Family BBQs: Few and Fart Between


Dad's babyback ribs, Grandma Emma's green chile rice, Debbie's fumi salad: things on my dinner table yesterday, none of which I allowed myself to eat. There were also 2 big luscious cakes and Debbie's margaritas that I did not even taste. But everyone seemed to be really enjoying themselves, watching football and doing some serious eating at our family bbq yesterday. Susan and I took lots of pictures with my camera (hers finally ran out of battery juice). And when Maxine finally took a nap it was on my dad's chest for almost 2 hours.

Attendees: Debbie and Dad, Kaitlyn, Grandma and Grandpa, Susan and us.


I want to thank my family for being so fun and happy. We hardly ever get this many of us together in one house at the same time, we're all so busy with less important things. I'm so glad we all could take the time to hug, laugh, fart and catch up on being a family.

5 comments:

Iris said...

*warm fuzzies*

Good girl! Not allowing yourself to eat that stuff. Do you ever watch the show The Biggest Loser? They have a challenge like that. It's one of my favorites, because I can totally empathize! I am not very strong when it comes to resisting food temptations, especially at family gatherings. Something about family, friends and just people in general that gets my appetite going. Anyway, I like that pic of your dad fanning himself.

Sarah Jane said...

Yep, that's what he was doing!
I have ALWAYS been the social eater, myself, but I have this unprecedented determination right now that I don't wanna mess with. I know you know what I mean. I have seen a lot of reruns of The Biggest Loser and felt inspired. I should start watching it again.
After the bbq I asked my family to please take their cakes with them. My grandma, who has been on Weight Watchers before (years ago), took hers back home without question. Dad and Debbie left their big white cake with cheesecake mousse on my table cuz they didn't want it. I gave James and Jose a last chance to have seconds and then I dumped the whole thing in the trash barrel outside on this street. I wanted to scoop a big honking piece of it with my hand and shove it in my mouth when I was serving it so it had to go!

HektikLyfe said...

Great job with the junk fasting! I know I can never turn my head away from a good BBQ.

Iris said...

Gosh Sarah, I really mean it when I say you are totally being my hero right now.

Unknown said...

Cute baby. Susan looks great! If Raquel has half the fun I had with "my baby" (your dad), she'll have precious memories that will carry her through those tough times (like when we don't get to have any of those BBQ ribs and margaritas)...

Boy, I sure hope I got this computer to do the right thing. Its all I can do to keep up with these new fangled doo-hickies.

Ujim