Sunday, January 18, 2009

Jose's Day Off

Yes, Jose actually took an entire day off today. What a nice Sunday it was for us. He made a big pot of coffee, read the paper outside in this perfect weather we've been enjoying for over a week now. Then he kicked back and watched both of the football games he had been so amped up about. And his team won. Go Cards!
Raquel left for Grandma Rosamaria's house shortly before noon and is spending the night there. You have never heard our house so peaceful!
One of the benefits Jose gets for working at Macaroni Grill is a 50% discount at any restaurant his company owns. We went to Chili's for dinner and used his discount. What a difference it makes! We rarely go out to eat anymore so it kinda felt like a special occasion and without Raquel there with us, there was a lot of silent moments, both of us not knowing what exactly to talk about. Pretty pathetic, huh? Maybe not if you know Raquel.
*****
Maxine is going to be 6 months old in a few days. I've been reading about 6-month old babies and what they should/might be able to do, such as sit up and/or say "bababababa...". She isn't strong enough to sit on her own yet so I have started training her by propping her up with my hands or my feet or a pillow. It's hard because she really likes to do this rocking back and forth thing all the time, so when she's seated, she just flies backward (and I catch her). Some babies at this age are beginning to crawl. Maxine just rolls around and ends up moving herself about the floor quite a bit. Sometimes I put my hands on the bottom of her feet so she has something to push off from.
I have pictures of Raquel at this age sitting on her own and standing on the sofa, holding the arm with one hand and her bottle in another. I can't imagine Maxine doing that now! She seems far from it. Of course every baby is unique but I still can't help but feel at fault for Maxine's, uh, lack of strength. Don't get me wrong, I am in no hurry for her to grow up. I love having a snuggly little baby! I love having someone to hold who is so small and quiet and listens to everything I say and loves to hear me sing. I'm telling you, when I sing her to sleep, she is captivated. I just don't want to hold her back from her capabilities.

See my feet holding her up?

5 comments:

Iris said...

Maxine is a sweet girl, but she is also so sweet looking. I just want to pick her up and snuggle her. <3
You are right, every baby is unique and has different ways of developing. But I understand why you are looking at the milestones and comparing. I do.

I am glad to see pics of Maxine. Keep them coming.

Oh and glad you and Jose got to spend time together. Sometimes silence is golden and nothing NEEDS to be said. G and I have those moments too. I just put my head on his shoulder and eat quietly.

Glad he had the day off. I know you really liked that.

Oh and about the discount, LUCKY!

Sarah Jane said...

I love having Jose home with me. It makes me feel more motivated to get things done around the house! Especially since I don't want to sit and watch boring old football with him ;)
Oh, thank goodness we aren't the only couple with the moments of silence during dinner, haha!

HektikLyfe said...

Very cute picture. Intrigue in a colorful toy.

I wouldn't worry about early development. Children who hold off walking usually start off running.

Sarah Jane said...

Thanks for saying that, HL. I think that is true.

Jose said...

yeah. that was a nice day. it made picking up a shift on MONDAY worth it.

GO CARDINALS!